Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 29th August 2007, 00:27   #1
Semple
L-plater
South West Region Member

Semple is on a distinguished road
Default Door switch (very confusing)

Well ive had an idea to add a strip neon under my door. i was going to wire it up to the door switch, so when the doors open the lights came on.

ok basically after taking the switch out theres one live permanent feed, which thn connects to the switch, the switch is then connected to the body of the car to earth it, which completes the circuit. Ive tried connect the plus wire of the light to the live power lead and the negative to the earth wire on the body.

But... when the doors open the interior light goes on but the light under the door goes off, and when the door closes the interior light switches off but the light under the door comes on. To me it looks like the current switches when the door is closed. As far as im aware there is a diode further up the switch which could be preventing the current to travel to the earth wire.

Ive also tried to connect a wire to the middle interior light, which has 3 switches (1 permanently on, 1 permanently off and the other when the doors are open) the permanent switch, allows the light to turn on when the doors open, but when closed the lights go off. When connecting the wire to the "on when doors open" it takes the current from the interior light to the door light.

Very confusing i know spent 6 hours on it today trying to figure why it wouldnt work. If anyone has tried this before or knows how the switch works and idea would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 00:31   #2
SAM33R
Established Member

Car(s): saxo vts 2003 *Dads*€nzo 15th APR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
SAM33R has a spectacular aura aboutSAM33R has a spectacular aura about

i would create a seperate cicuit for the neons and use the switch in the door as an on and off....
SAM33R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 00:32   #3
Semple
L-plater
South West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM33R View Post
i would create a seperate cicuit for the neons and use the switch in the door as an on and off....
that was my next plan if i couldnt join it to the door switch, just means ill have to drill a few holes into the body work tho
Old 29th August 2007, 00:35   #4
SAM33R
Established Member

yes mate it would save you alot of hassle.... just ad anotther small switch... im sure you can run your neons with the original switch
Old 29th August 2007, 00:36   #5
Semple
L-plater
South West Region Member

the only downside to creating another swith, would mean tht i cant use the interior light to have the lights "permanently on", "permanently off" or "on when doors are open" which was the idea in the first place.
Old 29th August 2007, 00:39   #6
SAM33R
Established Member

IM CONFUSED lol

from what i think.... you want the neons to light up when the door opens right???? and shut off when door is shut??? the interior light will work with the exsisting old switches
Old 29th August 2007, 00:42   #7
Semple
L-plater
South West Region Member

Quote:
IM CONFUSED lol

from what i think.... you want the neons to light up when the door opens right???? and shut off when door is shut??? the interior light will work with the exsisting old switches
yes but even when the door is open, i still want to be able to turn thm on permanently or to turn thm off, exactly the same way the interior light works.
Old 29th August 2007, 00:49   #8
SAM33R
Established Member

OIC!

mate your best bet is to get a wiring diagram... take a look at the wiring in the interior light...

first thing is.... have completly seperate wiring and switches for your neons...

make a new circuit, so that you can make your neons:
1 permanently be on
2 permanently off
3 on and off with door

i'll try make a cicuit diagram,,,,
Old 29th August 2007, 00:50   #9
SNewham
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A1 S-Line, Mazda MX5 Kuro, Renault Clio 1.2,
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!

just wire them up in parellel to the interior light. You don't need to connect it to the body as well.
Old 29th August 2007, 00:52   #10
SAM33R
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snewham View Post
just wire them up in parellel to the interior light. You don't need to connect it to the body as well.
i wish i thought of that..... lol only prob is that you cant have your neons permanently on as you will have to have the interior light on too if its in parallel and its not easy driving with an interior light on at night lol
Old 29th August 2007, 00:55   #11
SNewham
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A1 S-Line, Mazda MX5 Kuro, Renault Clio 1.2,
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!SNewham is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
i wish i thought of that..... lol only prob is that you cant have your neons permanently on as you will have to have the interior light on too if its in parallel and its not easy driving with an interior light on at night lol
why would you want them on whilst driving? they could reflect off of your window and cause lack of visibility..
Old 29th August 2007, 01:01   #12
SAM33R
Established Member

right i got you a diagram...

its a crappy one in paint....but hope it makes sense...

sam
Old 29th August 2007, 01:02   #13
SAM33R
Established Member

Old 29th August 2007, 01:10   #14
Semple
L-plater
South West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snewham View Post
i tired tht, but when using the permanent feed, it took the power from the light to the door so only the door could be on not the interior light.

also something thts on my mind, ive had a look at the wiring diagram in my haynes manual, and its got 1 diode on the drivers door side but not on the passenger side, what ive tried so far may have worked on the left side but thn it wont work on both doors. i was also thinking of putting a wire from the left door to the right door as it could use the reverse wiring for the door.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:10   #15
Semple
L-plater
South West Region Member

Quote:
and cheers for the diagram