Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 13th December 2014, 17:34   #1
JBroad

Car(s): Saxo Furio
JBroad is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Just want this fixed

My car seems to be getting most of problems when idling, it seems to idle up and down slightly, but when you go to the back of the car I noticed that the exhaust is sorter puffing, it can do it rapidly at times, this has been going on for a while. I took it in to a garage not long ago because I just wanted this sorted, they said it was my injector seals so I had to pay to get them replaced (over £100) he said that he was very confident it would cure but it hasn't.

So with my exhaust still doing that I have noticed another thing with the car, there seems to be this a weird tapping sound coming from the engine, hard to explain but it sounds like two bits of metal hitting each other, its seems to be mostly when I am in 3rd and 4th gear, sometimes 2nd. It does it at its loudest at around 1500rpms but when you get to around 2000rpms you can't really hear it.

Another thing is that my back box fell off on the way to work recently because it was corroded, which is now resolved, but when I drove it without the back box I noticed the exhaust was popping/gurgling and sometimes banging pretty loud to depending on how fast I let off the accelerator, I have no idea if that is normal or not without a back box.

JBroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 21:42   #2
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Clean the idle control valve,then get the tappets adjusted.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 21:56   #3
sexysaxo_dan
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Furio 1.4l
sexysaxo_dan is on a distinguished road

puffing might be due to a slight misfire, other than that what steve said
Old 19th December 2014, 12:41   #4
JBroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysaxo_dan View Post
puffing might be due to a slight misfire, other than that what steve said
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
Clean the idle control valve,then get the tappets adjusted.
I have noticed a sort of hissing sound when accelerating, its not very audible but it is there when ever I accelerate. Also when the puffing happens out the exhaust the car will vibrate, this causes irregular/rough idle. I will give cleaning the idle control valve a go. Also I don't think my tappets are the cause of this engine pinging sound, after looking online I am pretty sure I got what is known as 'knock' so I have filled it up with v-power nitro+ because it was recommended to do so and since then I haven't heard it again. Any help with this hissing sound though guys?
Old 19th December 2014, 13:45   #5
Mickswan
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2003 Icelandic Grey 16v VTR 1991 Daihatsu GTti
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mickswan is on a distinguished road

Hissing sounds like a vacuum tube split. Had that problem and it caused a rough idle.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=452645
Mickswan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickswan For This Useful Post:
Old 19th December 2014, 15:01   #6
JBroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickswan View Post
Hissing sounds like a vacuum tube split. Had that problem and it caused a rough idle.
It could possibly be that, I've tried to find what ever is causing this but I just can't, it only seems to happen when the car is moving and under load, can really only hear it hissing in 3rd and 4th gear but I can't really hang out the window at 30mph and flip open my bonnet whilst accelerating to try and find it so may have to take it to a garage to get this hissing sorted.